View unanswered posts | View active topics
We are always more afraid than we wish to be, but we can always be braver than we expect. -Sorilea
1. Do not use characters who:
a. are named in Robert Jordan’s books
b. appear in other copyrighted works of fiction (unless you have the copyright holder’s permission)
c. are named to resemble known, living people (Hillary Clinton, that guy who's always giving you a hard time at school)
Biographies and story posts which make unauthorized use of someone else’s character, or appear to defame living people, may be edited or removed at the discretion of moderators. This protects you, and us, against legal action.
Example: Having your character mention news of something that Rand did in one of the books is fine. Trying to write as Mat Cauthon, or even his sister Bodewhin, is not okay – giving new words or actions to any of Robert Jordan’s characters is a severe copyright violation. Creating a character named Jorj Boosh who is a trolloc born into a family of nobles might be an amusing political statement, but the site was not founded so we could make fun of real people.
Exception: The world of Vaerra was created by Portal Stones users and licensed for use under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 terms. If you write or RP in Vaerra, you may make use of countries, races, magic, characters, or any other feature of Vaerra invented by other people writing/RPing in Vaerra. When you distribute or publish Vaerra-related content through any means other than the Vaerra forums on PortalStones.com, you must credit PortalStones.com as the creator of the world of Vaerra, and allow others to distribute works based on yours under the same conditions (see the Creative Commons link). In the dedicated forums on PortalStones.com, you do not need to attribute Vaerra to PortalStones. No matter where your work is posted or distributed, standard copyright rules still apply (do not copy another author's characters from another world into Vaerra).
2. Do not use inappropriate language in your username or character names.
Example: "Seymour Butts" is just an old worn-out joke. But there are other names using more explicit words that could get your account deleted, or your internet address banned from the site.
3. Do not post messages (public or private) which contain obscene or hateful language. This includes swearing, abuse, harassment, and messages which degrade a person or group based on their race, citizenship, religion, gender, age, physical characteristics, or sexual orientation. (Exception: In story posts, fictional characters may exchange insults based on the above factors. At no time should you let such speech spill over into non-story areas. If you find stories of such conflict offensive, you may choose to stop reading them.)
4. Do write calmly and thoughtfully. Do not write in all caps, use excessive punctuation, or make heavy use of "netspeak."
Example: "HEY GUYZ ASL???? OMGZ ur KIDDING!!!!!!!!" – That’s not going to win you any admirers here. In fact, the people reading your words will probably roll their eyes, and try to avoid you.
5. Do not mess with another writer's character, or make a drastic change to a story you didn't start, without permission. Your characters, and threads you start, are your property. No one else can injure your character or make them do anything you don’t want them to do. Likewise, if you set out to write a story set in Tar Valon, no one can take it over and bring the plot to Shayol Ghul without your permission. Others have the same rights regarding their own characters.
If you don’t know how someone else's character will react to what you're doing, send your post to them privately to have them fill in their words and actions, or stop your post there and put it up for them to respond to. If someone interferes with your character or thread, and refuses to edit their post to fix the problem, contact a moderator and explain what was done that you object to. The moderator may contact the offending writer, and may edit or delete posts if the offender continues to refuse to cooperate.